[virt-tools-list] vhostmd - virtio channel support

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Thu Jun 7 22:23:32 UTC 2018

On 06/07/2018 09:42 AM, Trapp, Michael wrote:

> I fully understand the requirements regarding coding style and the way the changes should be split and discussed in detail,
> but may I ask you to provide some general feedback about the basic concept and if this an option at all before we start discussing the details.

vhostmd already supports 'vbd' and 'xenstore' as transports for the metric data.
Adding another virtio-channel based transport is a great idea IMO.

WRT writing the data to the various channels, I suppose it is possible to do
that even if there is no (immediate) recipient for the data? The vbd and
xenstore transports don't have a protocol so to speak. The data is simply
written to the disk or xenstore node regardless if there is someone to consume
it. Can the virtio transport work the same? If so, that would alleviate the need
for polling all the fds and the static list of epoll_event. In
virtio_metrics_update() we could simply connect to all the channels, write the
data, close them, and repeat on the next update period (which is every 5sec by
default).

Regards,
Jim