[virt-tools-list] Change UUID

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 16:09:59 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:05:06PM -0400, Toan Pham wrote:
> > Which management tool in particular, and which UUID ?
> >
> > The UUIDs present in pretty much all the libvirt XML schemas are autofilled
> > with a random value when libvirt parsers it, if the mgmt tool hasn't
> > already
> > provided a UUID value, and any mgmt tool would provide a random value if it
> > needed to too.
>
> I am using virtual machine manager.  In the machine detail menu (see
> attached pix), the hardware UUID is hardcoded and can not be changed from
> the GUI.  Is it possible to make that field configurable in the future?

It is configurable at the libvirt level, but you have to be careful about
the way in which you do it. The UUID is what identifies the guest from
libvirt POV, so if you change it you have effectively removed the old
guest and created a new guest. It is also exposed the guest OS, so it
could thing it was moved to new hardware which can in turn trigger
Windows license key request. I can understand why virt-manager does
not make it configurable, as there's rarely a strong reason to want to
change it to a particular value.

Regards,
Daniel