[virt-tools-list] Change UUID

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 16:19:51 UTC 2018

On 03/19/2018 12:05 PM, Toan Pham wrote:

>     Which management tool in particular, and which UUID ?
>
>     The UUIDs present in pretty much all the libvirt XML schemas are
>     autofilled
>     with a random value when libvirt parsers it, if the mgmt tool hasn't
>     already
>     provided a UUID value, and any mgmt tool would provide a random
>     value if it
>     needed to too.
>
>     Regards,
>     Daniel
>

> Daniel,
>
> I am using virtual machine manager.  In the machine detail menu (see
> attached pix), the hardware UUID is hardcoded and can not be changed
> from the GUI.  Is it possible to make that field configurable in the future?

No I don't expect it will be made configurable. That UUID field is
basically the libvirt vm's unique identifier, I can't really think of a
compelling reason to change it at all let alone expose it in the UI. You
can change it using virsh but it's a bit difficult, you'll need to
undefine the VM, change the UUID in the XML, then redefine it, to avoid
a libvirt collision check