[virt-tools-list] Eideticom NVMe devices not showing in virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue May 15 15:13:16 UTC 2018

On 05/15/2018 08:53 AM, Stephen Bates wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are testing our NVMe devices in virtualized environments and noticed that the vendor name and device id (as decoded by pci-ids) is not showing up in virt-manager in the add hardware list. We are running Bionic Beaver on the host machine and Xenial on the client running virt-manager. We do see the vendor name and device name for other devices. Note we do have an entry in pci-ids and even inside the guest OS we can see the device name upon booting the OS. E.g. Athens is our guest OS hostname
>
> batesste at athens:~$ lspci
> 00:05.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Eideticom, Inc NoLoad Hardware Development Kit (rev 01)
> 00:06.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation QEMU NVM Express Controller (rev 02)
>
> How does virt-manager obtain the human readable vendor name and device name? Does it use libvirt on the host machine to obtain those and display then in the GUI? Any help appreciated!

virt-manager/libvirt asks libpciaccess for this info, which from looking
at the source seems to query /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids which is the same
method that lspci uses in my simple strace attempt. So I'm not sure why
you're seeing different output... maybe there's a bug somewhere, or
maybe lspci has an alternate name of looking up these strings