[virt-tools-list] Installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a guest from iso

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 12:15:15 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 09:41:34AM -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
> I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 as a host os with kvm as a default hypervisor and wanting to install an Ubuntu 18.04 guest from an iso. The most recent choice shown for Ubuntu in virt-manager is  17.x. What options should I choose?  What exactly changes when one flavor of os is selected over another (say I chose Windows, OS X, bsd, or some other linux flavor for this install) and why does it matter?  Is there not simply a generic choice in the list?  How could Ubuntu 18.04 be added to the list and maybe submitted as a patch?

Hi, sorry for such late answer.  The selection of OS that would be
installed inside guest changes what type of devices are configured
for the guest and default amount of memory or number of vcpus and
default size of disk image.

If the newest version is missing you can use older version, it should
work but it might not have the best configuration, however, for linux
there is usually no difference between two latest versions.

The list of OSes is from osinfo-db project.  It is most likely already
fixed in upstream but not backported into fedora packages.

There is generic choice but it pick emulated devices instead of virtio
and that will have a huge performance effect.  Emulated devices are slow
because it has to emulate the same behavior as the real device.  Virtio
devices are written specifically for virtualization and they require
additional drivers inside the guest.  Most linux distribution have them
already in the kernel, for windows guests you need to install them
manually.

Pavel