[virt-tools-list] Virt-manager: create vm

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 12:28:34 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 04:34:22AM -0700, femi adegoke wrote:
> I just tried using the "import" function.
> This does not work, it still wants to start the installation.

So we need to agree on terminology:

If you are creating new guest using virt-manager GUI there are four

From virt-manager/virt-install point of view the first three options
has two phases, install phase and final phase.  The install phase
usually uses a different domain definition that the final phase.
During the install phase user usually installs the OS inside the guest
and once the installation is completed the definition is changed and it
starts again to the final phase.

In case of 'Import' installation there is no install phase, there is
only final phase.

With virt-manager GUI the guest is always started no matter which
installation method is selected.

From your description I'm guessing that you don't want the guest to be
started after it's created, that is not possible with virt-manager.

Pavel