[virt-tools-list] Virt-manager: create vm

Joachim Wagner jwagner at computing.dcu.ie
Tue Oct 2 13:09:41 UTC 2018

> I just tried using the "import" function.
> This does not work, it still wants to start the installation.

I guess you checked the box "Customise configuration before install" in step 4
of 4 and you see "Begin Installation" and "Cancel Installation" buttons in the
window that allows you to configure the virtual hardware. These button labels
are wrong in "import" mode. They should read "Start VM" and "Cancel VM
creation" respectively.

If you need to create the VM but do not want it to start booting anything from
the VM's disks, consider temporarily ticking the box "Readonly" of each
virtual disk (+"Apply" button), start the VM, choose Virtual Machine -> Shut
Down -> Force Off and remove the tick(s) from "Readonly" again. Alternatively,
or as an additional safety net, add a bootable CD/DVD to the VM and make it
the first boot option.

@virt-manager developers: As "import" mode does not involve installation,
those button labels need to change depending on the mode. If this is difficult
without duplicating the widget a simple workaround may be to use labels
 * "Begin Installation / Start VM" and
 * "Cancel Installation and/or VM Creation"
in this window. If it is not difficult to modify the window depending on the
creation mode, it would be nice to also get a button "Create VM without
starting it" in "import" mode.

Joachim