[virt-tools-list] RFC: virt-manager: removing interface object UI

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 21:55:21 UTC 2018

On 10/05/2018 11:13 AM, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 10/03/2018 04:23 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to remove the <interface> object UI from virt-manager. This
>> is Edit->Connection Details->Interfaces, the bits that allow
>> starting/stopping/deleting/creating host network interface
>> configurations like bridges, bonds, vlans, and ethernet/wifi configs
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/iyYXawV
>> https://imgur.com/a/lGO4QZ0
>>
>> Long story short 1) I don't think this UI makes sense to have in
>> virt-manager, 2) no one seems to be using it.
>>
>> Most of this UI was added about 8.5 years ago to virt-manager. It has
>> mostly been unchanged since. At the time it seemed kind of compelling
>> that we could use the UI to create a host bridge device. However this
>> never quite 'just worked' often due to interference with
>> NetworkManager which really only learned to handle bridges in 2014ish
>> (even now I don't think it 'just works'). Since that time
>> nm-connection-editor provides a much more advanced UI for configuring
>> host network interfaces of all types.
>>
>> virt-manager's UI supports a lot more than just creating bridges
>> though, basically covering the entire <interface> schema in libvirt:
>> so configuring ipv4 and ipv6, various bond modes, etc. However no one
>> uses it. I'd bet good money that there's been 0 non-virt-developer
>> users of the 'Create Interface' wizard for something other than bridge
>> creation.
>
> Actually the largest use I've seen of virt-manager's Interface API
> support is from people who misunderstand that it is for managing *host*
> interfaces, and instead believe that they need to create one of these
> interfaces for each guest, and then when they can't, they mistakenly
> believe that guest networking is broken (this happened on IRC just a
> week or two ago). It is made worse by:
>
> 1) some distros using the udev backend for the interface API, which only
> supports reporting *currently active* devices (not device configurations)
>
> 2) Arch Linux apparently has a "port" of the netcf package (the other
> backend for the interface API) which was made by simply getting the
> Fedora version of the code to *compile* - it doesn't actually do
> anything useful.
>
> In case (1), all the APIs (including those to
> define/undefine/start/destroy interfaces) are present, but
> create/delete/start/destroy fail; only list and dumpxml work. In case
> (2) all of the APIs are still there but they *all* fail. This leads to
> even more confusion and frustration.
>
>> The UI for starting/stopping interfaces may have had more usage but
>> I'm fine telling people to go to the command line if they need to
>> change host interface state. These types of things are not virt
>> specific in any way and have little to specifically do with virt,
>> besides bridges.
>>
>> Also as a side point, I don't think any major libvirt users are
>> actually using the libvirt interface APIs aside from maybe listing
> [...]

Thanks for the write up.

Do you know any application besides virt-manager that actually uses the
interface APIs? Maybe we should start moving in the direction of killing
netcf. I'd be happy to make that happen for fedora 30.

As for the interface APIs, I don't know if that means we ship no backend
in Fedora, or use the udev backend. Maybe we just fold the udev backend
impl into the nodedev XML so nodedev APIs also list logical interfaces
like bridges. Yeah it will only show them when they are active, but
since the APIs won't have any way to change interface state that seems
okay to me.