[virt-tools-list] [virt-manager] Improving snapshot support

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Wed Oct 24 11:55:45 UTC 2018

Hey,

I've been looking into supporting revert and delete operations for
external snapshots [1] in libvirt and plan to do whatever it takes to
land the feature. After these are done, there's nothing that prevents
external snapshot support in virt-manager as far as I know.

Does it make sense improving this area of virt-manager in parallel
without waiting for the changes to land in libvirt?

The features that I would like to implement are the following:

  1) improved snapshot creation view
    - add UI to select between internal and external snapshot modes
    - add UI to list all the disks in the domain and allow selecting
snapshot properties such as whether to snapshot the disk and the path of
the snapshot.

  2) improved snapshot list view showing more information about
snapshots such as the locations of the external disk snapshots for each disk

  3) hierarchical snapshot view so that it's possible to figure out the
parent-children relationships between snapshots.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Povilas

[1]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2018-October/msg01106.html