[virt-tools-list] virt-manager test suite hangs on FreeBSD

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 08:47:42 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 18:01 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 12/11/19 7:40 AM, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
>
> I reproduced. Part of the test suite was forking off /bin/true to hit a
> code path. But when /bin/true wasn't available it would leave a stranded
> process which caused the hang. Fixed both now upstream
>
> > > You can
> > > use './setup.py test --debug' which may give more info where it is
> > > hanging. Possibly somewhere in the cli tests where we try to handle mock
> > > stdin or try to fake --wait timeouts
> >
> > Doing so doesn't really result in additional information being
> > printed out: it still just quietly hangs there.
>
> This was a separate bug, calling into the cli tools for clitest.py would
> reset the test suite debugging. That's fixed too

That's awesome, thank you so much! I already posted a patch[1] that
enables the test suite on FreeBSD in the CentOS CI environment, so
if a regression manages to sneak in we'll catch it right away.

One more thing. Right now virt-manager is the only project we have on
CentOS CI that uses the python3-libxml2 bindings in the first place,
with all others using python3-lxml instead, and that leads to a
reduced test matrix for it because the former are not available on
Ubuntu 16.04 and CentOS 7.

So that makes me wonder, does python3-lxml provide a better API or
something? Would it be a massive amount of work to port virt-manager
to it, and would it even make sense to do so? In due time we'll stop
supporting those two targets anyway...

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2019-December/msg00796.html