[virt-tools-list] [iGVT-g] GVT-g - suboptimal user experience

Gerd Hoffmann gerd at kraxel.org
Thu May 9 07:28:05 UTC 2019

  Hi,

> 1. Its about local display / dmabuf feature. Currently user needs to
> use virt-viewer tool. But virt-manager already incorporates graphical
> console. It would be nice if it could support accelerated gvt-g local
> display.

virt-manager and virt-viewer essentially run the same code spice client
code: both are using the spice-gtk widget.  So, if that isn't working
(didn't verify) it should be rather easy to wire up.

> Also virt-manager should allow to use mdev videocard alone, without
> requiring to use additional primary virtual adapter like QXL or Cirrus

That works fine, you can just set the video card model to "none" in
libvirt xml.  Not sure whenever virt-manager allows to do that via GUI,
maybe you have to use "virsh edit" instead.

> 2. Currently with gvt solution there few mdev devices each with fixed
> resolution. User should be able to configure own resolutions for
> devices at host without additional manipulations in guest. Ideally,
> resolution should be dynamic and change appropriately on resize of
> virt-manager window

Works.  Needs cutting edge software versions though (qemu 4.0 and linux
kernel 5.1 on the host).

> 3. This is about windows guest and VM configured with UEFI (OVMF)
> instead of BIOS. I head its about dropping OpRegion dependency in
> Windows guest driver to support that configuration

That one is for intel to answer ...

cheers,
  Gerd