[virt-tools-list] Saved VM state not part of snapshot?

Michael Weiser michael at weiser.dinsnail.net
Tue Nov 19 16:15:23 UTC 2019

Hello Cole,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:43:58AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > Instead of handling the symptoms, might it be easier to try and make the
> > saved memory state become part of the snapshot then? I could think of
> > moving the .save file from the qemu/save into the
> > qemu/snapshot/<snapshot name> directory. Or resume the saved state into
> > a running but paused VM and snapshot that so it becomes part of the
> > snapshot by the native qemu mechanism.

> It's possible, but I don't think there will be much energy at the
> libvirt level to implement or review this. internal snapshots don't get
> a lot of love as they aren't used by any of the big fancy projects like
> ovirt or openstack, even at the qemu level they aren't particularly well
> regarded.

So when you say, external snapshots aren't here yet, do you mean only
virt-manager? Do the other projects simply do no snapshots at all or are
they already employing them to such an extent that internal snapshots
are already regarded legacy by libvirt and qemu?

So if the actual fix would be to implement external snapshots in
virt-manager (preferably by generously borrowing what other projects are
doing), how much work would that be and how much is there or at least on
the roadmap already?

Sorry for my ignorance.
Michael