[virt-tools-list] virt-install and cloud-init, feedback wanted

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 11:07:24 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:34:14AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 08:18:01PM -0500, Dusty Mabe wrote:
> > Basically in Fedora CoreOS we need a generic user data mechanism that works across
> > platforms (x86_64, aarch64, ppc64le, s390x) and doesn't have possible race conditions.
> > Right now we're using `-fw_cfg` but it's not cross platform. We don't have an answer
> > yet: https://github.com/coreos/ignition/issues/666#issuecomment-452835654
>
> For platform portability you need to find some device that is common
> across all platforms, and either disk or network are the only two
> good options that exist today or for the forseeable future.  If those
> aren't acceptable then all we have left are platform specific options.

While it's not a "good option that exists today", AF_VSOCK would be a
good choice to settle on in the future.  It's completely cross
platform, available for Windows, and doesn't interfere with existing
network or disk devices.

Would needing virtio be a barrier?  Our impl of AF_VSOCK runs over
virtio, but there are other transports.

(On a similar topic, vhostmd recently switched to using virtio-serial,
unfortunately not AF_VSOCK).

Rich.