[virt-tools-list] virt-install and cloud-init, feedback wanted

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Fri Nov 22 02:51:40 UTC 2019

On 11/21/19 5:34 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 08:18:01PM -0500, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>>

>> On 11/20/19 5:49 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:

>>> * Any other ideas, thoughts, feedback?
>>
>> I would love to have something like this support Ignition as well. Do you think
>> that would be welcome?
>>
>> If so, does it change your thoughts on the approach? Would we stick with `--cloud-init`
>> and just add `--ignition` or would we want to group it under another heading
>> `--userdata type=cloud-init,ssh-key=.....` `--userdata type=ignition,ssh-key=...`?
>
> If ignition is not a drop-in replacement for cloud-init, then I think
> using the --cloud-init arg would be a bad idea. Instead we would need
> a separate --ignition arg, or we could need a more general --userdata
> as you sugggest.

It uses a different input format so it's not a drop in replacement. I think it
would be really nice if we can use an option that addresses the category of problem
and allow for other implementations to be dropped in. Today we know of cloud-init
and ignition. There will probably be others in the future. If we could use a generic
named argument (let's call it --userdata, but we could bikeshed on a more appropriate
term) I could foresee:

* --userdata type=cloud-init,ssh-key=foo
* --userdata type=ignition,ssh-key=foo
* --userdata type=raw,data=/path/to/file

Where the raw type just passes the file directly. Then we could add other types in the
future as they come about.

Just food for thought :)

Dusty