[virt-tools-list] Checking on plans for cloud-init

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 16:08:57 UTC 2019

On 10/23/19 9:21 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> I was seeing activity on cloud-init for virtinst ending up in a
> 'cloudinit' branch that still is in the project [1]. I know that this
> was due to a GSOC [2] project and wanted to thank all of you for that.
> But according to [3] I'd guess the project is over (as is summer :-) )
> and after the activity on it from June [4] to August [5] I haven't
> seen any since then.
>
> I wanted to ask if there are further plans for this?
> Is (has) anyone picking that up to complete and merge it at some point
> or was it just a scientific/educational effort that will most likely
> stay at this stage.
>
> Ubuntu is heavy on cloud-init usage and I know people using
> cloud-localds [6] to achieve something very similar. They are
> converting a local cloud-init user data config file into an ISO and
> then passing that e.g. to `virtinst --cdrom` (or others). That is why
> I'm interested to learn if the feature has a chance to likely be
> completed to be considered a full built-in alternative at some point.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/commits/cloudinit/virtinst/install/cloudinit.py
> [2]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2019/projects/6236550378029056/
> [3]: https://athinapl.home.blog/2019/08/25/gsoc-2019-cloud-init-configuration-for-virt-manager-virt-install/
> [4]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2019-June/thread.html
> [5]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2019-August/thread.html
> [6]: https://manpages.debian.org/testing/cloud-image-utils/cloud-localds.1.en.html

Yup the plan is to commit it in some form. The code we have is good, the
main thing I'm unsure about is how is what the default behavior for bare
--cloud-init should be, and whether we should invoke some behavior by
default if we detect a cloud image is passed.

I've been traveling for the past week and I'll likely be offline the
entirety of next week. I'll collect my thoughts and start a separate
thread with a big CC list when I'm back

Thanks,
Cole