[virt-tools-list] virt-install and cloud-init, feedback wanted

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 11:06:49 UTC 2019

* Daniel P. Berrangé:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:52:26AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Daniel P. Berrangé:

>> > I don't understand what you mean by leaking data to untrusted parties
>> > here in contetx of config drive ? I've considerd the config drive to
>> > be more secure / less risky than network service.
>>
>> I'm assuming that cloud-init will try all sources in parallel, given
>> that there's a delay for both the network coming about and hardware
>> being detected.
>
> IIRC, the network sources all use link-local addresses, so by default
> you would need to have configured the 169.254.169.254 on one of the
> NICs on the host that the guest can reach. It connects to port 80 on
> this address.

Too many IPv4 deployment treat 169.254.0.0/16 as global unicast
addresses and forward them via the default route.  Only once they reach
the DFZ, these packets get dropped, but only if no one has announced a
route for it.

The instance-data DNS lookup is typically forwarded to the DNS root
servers.  Local resolvers will only filter it if they are
DNSSEC-enabled.

I have argued for a long time that separate cloud and local KVM images
are needed because the cloud images are dangerous in a non-cloud
environment, but so far without success.

Thanks,
Florian