[virt-tools-list] Checking on plans for cloud-init

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Wed Oct 23 07:21:39 UTC 2019

Hi,
I was seeing activity on cloud-init for virtinst ending up in a
'cloudinit' branch that still is in the project [1]. I know that this
was due to a GSOC [2] project and wanted to thank all of you for that.
But according to [3] I'd guess the project is over (as is summer :-) )
and after the activity on it from June [4] to August [5] I haven't
seen any since then.

I wanted to ask if there are further plans for this?
Is (has) anyone picking that up to complete and merge it at some point
or was it just a scientific/educational effort that will most likely
stay at this stage.

Ubuntu is heavy on cloud-init usage and I know people using
cloud-localds [6] to achieve something very similar. They are
converting a local cloud-init user data config file into an ISO and
then passing that e.g. to `virtinst --cdrom` (or others). That is why
I'm interested to learn if the feature has a chance to likely be
completed to be considered a full built-in alternative at some point.

[1]: https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/commits/cloudinit/virtinst/install/cloudinit.py
[2]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2019/projects/6236550378029056/
[3]: https://athinapl.home.blog/2019/08/25/gsoc-2019-cloud-init-configuration-for-virt-manager-virt-install/
[4]: https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2019-June/thread.html