VM won't do autostart - help needed

Yuri Weinstein yuri.weinstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 19:20:07 UTC 2020

Thanks Michal!

See comments in line

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 9:23 AM Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 2/16/20 10:20 PM, Yuri Weinstein wrote:
> > I used to have QEMU/KVM and Virtual Machine Manager running on ubuntu
> > 16.04 and used to start my VM from crontab as:
> >
> > @reboot sleep 30 && virsh start WINDOWS10
>
> Libvirt has an autostart feature, which can start your domain on the
> first time libvirtd is started (i.e. during boot).
>
> virsh autostart WINDOWS10
>

> > After upgrading to ubuntu 18.04 this stopped working, with error:
> >
> > error: failed to get domain 'WINDOWS10'
> > error: Domain not found: no domain with matching name 'WINDOWS10'
> >
> > Running command as "virsh start WINDOWS10" works fine.
> >

> This is probably because cron doesn't run the command as root and hence
> the virsh is no longer connecting to 'qemu:///system' but
> 'qemu:///session'. Change it to:
>
> virsh -c qemu:///system start WINDOWS10

I managed to force austart via Startup App as:
sh -c "sleep 30 && /usr/bin/virsh start WINDOWS10"

See your point about using root and/or 'qemu:///system' and will try it.

> But I suggest using the autostart feature instead.

This is the main issue - it does not work! :(  Tried via command line and UI
You can see =>
Autostart:      enable

How can this be fixed and/or troubleshooted?