Adding an "Enable Launch Security" checkbox to the Memory Details dialog

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 16:13:09 UTC 2020

CCing Erik who knows more about that launchSecurity/sev than I do

On 3/27/20 11:44 AM, Charles Arnold wrote:
> What is the opinion of adding a checkbox called "Enable Launch
> Security" under the 'Current allocation' and 'Maximum allocation' boxes
> on the Details->Memory dialog? It would only be enabled if libvirt
> detected support for it.

Provided libvirt capabilities report everything we need to know to
whether it's really supported on the host and will actually work, and
there's a sensible noncontroversial set of defaults we can fill in, then
a single checkbox is worth considering. It's certainly an advanced
feature but it's also getting more and more mention these days so maybe
it's good to get out ahead of any future RFEs.

But if we can boil it down to being that simple I guess the question is
whether a checkbox in the UI is valuable when users can use 'virt-xml
VMNAME --edit --launchSecurity sev' to fill in the same default values.
I guess it depends on who we expect will want to use this option. We
should think about how it fits the UI philosophy/DESIGN.md:

https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/blob/master/DESIGN.md