How to install an OS with 2 installation iso file

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 5 14:14:25 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 03:31:38PM +0530, Harsh chopra wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I was trying to install Centos 2.1 on the virtual machine,

Ambitious!  Note that older operating systems often don't work in
qemu, not for any particular reason but just because they don't get
much attention and things regress, drivers in particular.  Or the
drivers such as IDE don't emulate corners which are needed by the old
OS.  For example I tried running some really ancient Linux versions in
qemu a while back with no success at all.

Having said that I have run RHEL 3 recently on qemu and that's fairly
similar to 2.1.

> the installation
> was complete 50% but then it asked to insert the second installation iso
> file.
> i.e. "Please insert disc 2 in cdrom"
> I tried to change the XML file and insert the line
> <source file = "/home/..."/>
> under device name  but nothing helped.

When you say you "tried to change the XML file" - how did you do that?
You should use ‘virsh edit <guest>’ only, and not attempt to edit any
XML file directly.  Or of course you can use virt-manager as the other
reply suggested - it essentially does the same thing as virsh edit.

> Should I extract the iso file in a folder and then give it's path in source
> file or am I missing something?

You might also try to install using --location, assuming that RHEL 2.1
supported that (I don't recall, but I'm pretty sure RHEL 3 did).

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW