virt-manager 'dist' build OK in local pyenv; 'rpm' build FAILs @ check for *distro* pkgs ?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 5 14:51:41 UTC 2020

On 5/5/20 3:02 AM, Pavel Hrdina wrote:
> In order to build RPM packages you need to have RPM dependencies listed
> in spec file installed.

sure.  simply, if running in a pyenv, there's no relevant 'python3-devel' pkg to fulfill the dep.

> May I ask what is your distribution and reason to use upstream package
> in your distribution?

opensuse Leap.

The distro's python is seldom up-to-date.

I prefer to choose/work in a non-distro, up-to-date global pyenv.

The distro's virt-manager doesn't play nicely with the pyenv.

> The simplest solution is to use virt-manager directly from unpacked
> tarball or git repository if the distribution version is not good
> enough or you want to just test a newer virt-manager.

using git here,

 git reflog -n1
      1 f34f7362 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) HEAD@{0}: reset: moving to HEAD

> I was about to suggest some options but once I've tried them it would
> require a lot of other work to achieve it:
>      - Use python virtualenv and install virt-manager into it, but it
>        would require to install all virt-manager python dependencies into
>        the virtualenv as well.  To uninstall it, you can just remove the
>        whole virtualenv directory.

this fits the bill.

it's an additional set of steps, but simple enough.  no rpm required, and deploys easily with ansible ...

with,

	pyenv which python
		/usr/local/pyenv/versions/3.8-dev/bin/python

a local build

	which virt-manager
		/usr/local/virt-manager/bin/virt-manager

correctly uses

	cat /usr/local/virt-manager/bin/virt-manager | head -n1
		#!/usr/local/pyenv/versions/3.8-dev/bin/python

and execs ok ( so far ... )

	virt-manager --version
		2.2.1
	virt-install --version