Alternate UEFI firmware?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:12:37 UTC 2020

On 11/10/20 4:03 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> but the fact that TianoCore doesn't save them is a bummer.

Entries are indeed saved properly in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/nvram/.  It's
just that the UEFI firmware has some strange behavior of its own.

I'm testing out Fedora 33 with two disks (mdadm's RAID1) and at the end
of installation you can see in /var/log/anaconda/storage.log that two
"efibootmgr" commands were executed to create the proper labels so that
the system can boot off any of the two drives. However, after
installation only one label appears in the UEFI boot menu. If I manually
create the 2nd entry it's gone after a power cycle...

It seems that if it detects that two "different" labels point to the
same boot loader (/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/shimx64.efi) it discards the 2nd
one.  I even copied shimx64 to shomx64.efi and created an entry pointing
to that but apparently it hashes the file and does some comparison and
wipes my entry regardless.

It wasn't until I copied the whole /boot/efi/EFI/fedora to
/boot/efi/EFI/feduru (a "new" OS) that it started behaving and left my
entry alone (even after a power cycle).  Of course you wouldn't want
this on a production system but if you're playing/testing with UEFI boot
menu with TianoCore now you know :)

--
Jorge