unable to connect to the guest VM instance running Ubuntu 18.04

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Tue Aug 10 07:46:47 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 11:05:49PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM Erik Skultety <eskultet at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 08:54:13PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > #cat /etc/redhat-release
> > > CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)
> > > #virt-install --version
> > > 1.5.0
> > > #virt-install -n snipeitassetmanagementubuntu --ram 8096 --vcpus 2
> > > --virt-type kvm --os-type linux --os-variant ubuntu18.04 --graphics none
> > > --location '
> > > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/main/installer-amd64/'
> > > --extra-args "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8" --disk
> > > path=/linuxkvmguestosdisk/snipeitassetmanagementubuntu.img,size=30
> > >
> > > I am unable to connect to the guest VM instance. Any clue and i look
> > > forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on what connection type is not working for you - serial
> > console or SSH?
> > I will presume you're talking about the former in which case
> > --extra-args "console=..." is not a permanent setting, it is only placed
> > on the
> > kernel cmdline the first time the machine boots, IOW when it's being
> > installed.
> > That's how '--extra-args' works. Afterwards, the args will be lost, so you
> > need
> > to use some kind of automation management SW like Ansible to tweak the grub
> > config after the OS installation if you want to keep using serial console.
> >
> > If by any chance you were talking about the latter, then I guess you
> > haven't
> > installed the SSH server in the VM.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Erik
> >

> Hi Erik,
>
> $virsh console snipeitassetmanagemeubuntu
> Connected to domain snipeitassetmanagementubuntu
> Escape character is ^]
>
> The screen is frozen. To connect it to the VM guest instance, I need to
> configure the static private IP for this VM instance and later I can SSH
> login to the server using private IP.
>
> Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kaushal,
if you read carefully what I replied above, I believe my answer addresses what
you've been experiencing. I'd advise the following to address your needs:
    - use a preseed installation config where you install the SSH server in the
      VM in an automated fashion
    - use static IP allocation in libvirt's network XML for that specific
      machine
            => see https://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#elementsAddress
    - depending on the actual use case I'd also recommend considering usage of
      the libvirt-NSS plugin which conveniently alleviates the need to know
      the IP of the VM
            => see https://libvirt.org/nss.html

Regards,
Erik