[virt-what] AWS bug

Stuart Cooper stuart.mic.cooper at microfocus.com
Tue May 25 13:45:44 UTC 2021

virt-what version : 1.18.4.el7 (CentOS)
Although this is a somewhat older version of virt-what I did take a look at the latest 1.21 and the issue persists

I have noticed a bug with virt-what mis-reporting in AWS.  The upshot is that it reports as

    xen
    xen-hvm

only.  I took a look at the code and the dmi responses on the systems that were “failing” and found the following.

    # Check for AWS
    if echo "$dmi" | grep -q 'Version: [0-9]\.[0-9]\.amazon'; then
        echo aws
    fi

AWS has since updated its versions :

    BIOS Information
        Vendor: Xen
        Version: 4.11.amazon
    …
    System Information
        Manufacturer: Xen
        Product Name: HVM domU
        Version: 4.11.amazon

Obviously the above pattern match will not succeed.  I have updated my virt-what to

    # Check for AWS
    if echo "$dmi" | grep -q 'Version: [0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.amazon'; then
        echo aws
    fi

Which restores the output I am expecting

    xen
    xen-hvm
    aws

but wanted to report this back to the project to get a proper fix for all.  I’m aware that the * may add a bit too much scope but [0-9][0-9] may also be too restrictive for the future.

Regards,

Stuart Cooper