Triggering a checkpoint from inside the VM

Leek, Jim leek2 at llnl.gov
Wed Sep 8 06:31:49 UTC 2021

1. I guess you mean by Using a shared disk?  That could work, I had some trouble with the shared disk before, I don’t think I ever got it to work. I’ll have to check my notes. IT has the host machine locked down very securely in some ways, and sometimes that causes trouble.

2. I did specify the settings in virt-manager and I can use virsh. But sometimes I get an error from libvirt when doing a series of savevm and loadvm in a row. I have a hope that using qemu-kvm without libvirt might make it more reliable.  But as I said, I’m having trouble getting the networking and display working properly without libvirt.

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>

On September 7, 2021 at 10:58:03 PM PDT, Tony Brian Albers <tba at kb.dk> wrote:
On 08/09/2021 06.22, Leek, Jim wrote:

>    1.  Connect to the qemu monitor with telnet from inside the VM.  (Therefore skipping the whole ssh remote command thing.)

I'd go the other way around, make the guest touch a file somewhere and
let the host check if the file is there/has been updated, and based on
that, run the savevm process.

>    2.  Run the VM without virt-manager (perhaps that would be simpler?)

I think you can specify the settings for the VM through virt-manager and
then just use virsh to manage it afterwards.

Also, check out github for kvm backup scripts, I know there are some
that you could use.

HTH

/tony

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - Data Department, Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark