[virt-manager question] Advice on using libvirt with better default arguments

Cameron Showalter cameronsplaze222 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:01:00 UTC 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to learn libvirt enough have a python library around it to
manage VM's. I'm at the part where I'm trying to make almost any OS easy to
run based solely on the ISO. (For example: If I try to start a Windows 10
VM, There's extra work to get the OS to see the qcow volume during the
install. But by creating one through the virt-manager GUI, it see's it
automatically. So this is something you've solved outside libvirt). I'd
like to get the same defaults as virt-manager into my python package. To do
this, any advice on the easiest / most stable path? A couple ways I thought
of:

- Maybe add virt-manager as a submodule, and call your python scripts to
get the good default arguments? Is the back-end for your GUI stable enough
long term for something like this?

- Do those defaults come straight from the `Libosinfo` library? And by
learning how to use that, it'll provide the default libvirt xml blocks I
can use for libvirt?

Hopefully it's the right place to ask this.
Thanks!
Cameron