virtio-blk and virtio-scsi driver don't work with bhyve

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 10:42:15 UTC 2022

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 12:55:45PM +0100, Mario Marietto wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm going to ask another question about the behavior,because I want to
> understand if I'm dealing with a bug or with a regular method of working.
> So,please be patient with me. What I want to achieve is to pass thru two of
> my NTFS "formatted" disks to a Windows 11 VM,but without passing them thru
> using the USB controller in FreeBSD with a bhyve virtual machine (in the
> example below I tried to boot Windows 11 from the nvme disk nvd0.
>
> I'm using this FreeBSD version :
>
> *FreeBSD marietto 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #5
> n244809-dff3dead3734: Wed Feb 23 13:16:32 CET
> 2022     marietto at marietto:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64*
>

> I've configured the bhyve VM like this :
>
> *bhyve -S -c sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -m 4G -w -H -A \
> -s 0,hostbridge \
> -s 1,ahci-hd,/dev/nvd0 \
> -s 2,virtio-blk,/dev/da4p2 \
> -s 3,virtio-blk,/dev/da2p1 \
> -s 8,virtio-net,tap4 \
> -s 10,hda,play=/dev/dsp,rec=/dev/dsp \
> -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5904 <http://0.0.0.0:5904>,w=1440,h=900 \
> -s 30,xhci,tablet \
> -s 31,lpc \
> -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_BHF_CODE.fd \
> vm4 < /dev/null & sleep 2 && vncviewer 0:4*

As explained last time, you're bringing this up to the wrong
audience. This mailing list is about virt-manager, which uses libvirt
and QEMU behind the scenes, but you're using none of those pieces of
software. We are simply unable to help you.

The FreeBSD forum looks like a reasonable place to discuss the issue
and possibly track it down to bugs in bhyve. If the bugs turn out to
be on the guest driver side instead, then I think

  https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/

would be your best bet.

Good luck!