[Virtio-fs] Rebased kernel patches to 5.3-rc kernel

Boeuf, Sebastien sebastien.boeuf at intel.com
Thu Aug 8 05:01:58 UTC 2019

Hi Vivek,

On Wed, 2019-08-07 at 20:23 -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 11:23:35PM +0000, Boeuf, Sebastien wrote:
> > Hi Vivek, I just tried the new kernel and I run into issues with my
> > VMM.
> > When I try to mount from inside the guest with the following
> > command:
> > # mount -t virtio_fs /dev/null mount_dir/ -o
> > tag=myfs,rootmode=040000,user_id=0,group_id=0,dax
> >
> > I realized the mount command changed into this:
> > mount -t virtio_fs myfs mount_dir/ -o
> > rootmode=040000,user_id=0,group_id=0,dax
>
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Adding virtio-fs list back. I think its a good idea to keep
> conversation
> on list, just in case others face similar issues.

Oh yes sorry about that.

> > It'd be nice to update it from the official documentation.
>
> Yes it will be nice to update doc.

:)

> Stefan, can you please take care of updating docs. We will have to
> mention
> for 4.19 kernel syntax is different and for latest kernel syntax is
> different.
>

> > Now, when I try to read from my files, I get nothing. I see the
> > mmap happening,
> > but the output of `cat` is empty.
> > Can you think of anything that changed that could affect the
> > mapping?
>
> For me it works. Which virtiofsd are you using. I am using virtio-fs-
> dev
> branch of qemu.
>
> https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/commits/virtio-fs-dev
>
> If it still does not work, try disabling dax and see if it helps.

Yes I'm using the same branch as you. I got it working eventually. I
was ignoring the flags passed by virtiofsd to do the mmap and it caused
the mmap to fail since I was trying to mmap R/W when virtiofsd was
telling me to do RO.

Anyway, I confirm it's all working now :)

Thanks,
Sebastien