[Virtio-fs] Achieving parallelism in virtiofsd

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 08:04:01 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 12:43:16PM +0800, piaojun wrote:
> From your description, virtiofsd does the same work as SPDK, and I
> wonder if we could adapt it to SPDK-vhost-fs which is widely used.

I don't see 9P code in spdk.git/master.  How does the guest access
SPDK's vhost-fs device and where is the code?

A quick look at blobfs suggests additional work is needed to introduce
the concept of inodes instead of performing path name traversal on most
operations.  This also changes the semantics of the file system since
POSIX files can still be accessed after they are unlinked or renamed.

In theory SPDK can implement the vhost-user-fs device interface and
replace virtiofsd but SPDK needs a POSIX file system implementation
first.

Stefan