[Virtio-fs] Ways to uniquely and persistently identify nodes

Miklos Szeredi mszeredi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 11:51:24 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi at redhat.com> wrote:

> New operations needed:
>
> LOOKUP_WITH_HANDLE: same as LOOKUP, but returns handle in addition to
> fuse_ino_t and attributes.
> LOOKUP_BY_HANDLE: same as LOOKUP, but gets a handle as input.

And that can be reduced further to a single extended LOOKUP_HANDLE,
which takes a handle as input and returns a handle in addition to the
usual stuff.  The lookup-by-handle case can be done with a special
name.  Currently "." is used for this purpose in the fuse protocol,
which is a bit confusing since it has nothing to do the "." directory
entry, but at least we don't have to introduce a new concept for this.

Thanks,
Miklos