[Virtio-fs] Mount error

David Lomas dl3 at pale-eds.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 15:20:15 UTC 2020

I've compiled and installed kernel 5.7, and have virtiofs mostly working,
but I'm still being caught by something which leads to an error. I've
defined the filesystem on the host like this:

<filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
  <driver type='virtiofs'/>
  <binary path='/usr/libexec/virtiofsd'/>
  <source dir='/data/hosts/VMHOSTNAME/users'/>
  <target dir='users'/>
  <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x09'
function='0x0'/>
</filesystem>

and on the host I've put this in /etc/fstab:

users           /appdata/users            virtiofs

On boot, the /appdata/users folder is correctly mounted, but if I ever try
to manually unmount / remount, or if I boot up without an entry in
/etc/fstab and try to mount manually with something like:

# mount -t virtiofs users /appdata/users

I get this rather opaque error:

mount: /appdata/users : wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /
appdata/users, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Are there more options I should be specifying which for some reason aren't
needed on boot?