[Virtio-fs] Getting help setting up virtiofs guest

David Lomas dl3 at pale-eds.co.uk
Thu Jun 11 19:01:57 UTC 2020

Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this kind or request.

I've been following these instructions to set up host and guest:
https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-qemu.html and
https://libvirt.org/kbase/virtiofs.html

On the host, I've built the latest version of libvirt (6.4.0) and qemu
(5.0.0), and added sections to the domain definition. All appears well (no
errors at least). This is the relevant section:

    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <driver type='virtiofs'/>
      <binary path='/usr/libexec/virtiofsd'/>
      <source dir='/fast_data/test'/>
      <target dir='test'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06'
function='0x0'/>
    </filesystem>

On the guest, I've build the kernel (4.19.28), booted it, and confirmed
virtio_fs.ko is a built-in module.

But on running mount -t virtio_fs test /mnt/test/ I get the following error:

mount: /mnt/test: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on qube-server,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Note both those web pages above suggest using mount -t virtiofs, but that
gives unknown filesystem type 'virtiofs'

I'm at a loss to find more detailed information on how to configure
this—are there other resources online, or can anyone suggest what to try
next?

Thanks!