[Virtio-fs] How to setup virtiofs for file sharing between host and VM

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 15:25:43 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 06:04:58PM +0100, Boris Ebwanga wrote:
> Hello!
> I was able to modify the XML domain without errors.
>
> Now, the guest failed to start. It shows this error message:
> erreur :internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
> 2020-06-11T16:53:58.809703Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev
> socket,id=char0,path=/home/deharteloos/tmp/vhost-fs.sock: Failed to connect
> socket /home/deharteloos/tmp/vhost-fs.sock: Permission denied
>
> I don't know how to solve this problem.

Have you checked the UNIX permissions for all components in the
/home/deharteloos/tmp/vhost-fs.sock path? It should work if directories
have execute permission and the UNIX domain socket has read permission
for "other users" (the chmod syntax for that is o+x on directories and
o+r on the socket).

It may also help to temporarily disable SELinux.

Libvirt sets all this up securely and automatically, so if you get a
chance to use libvirt 6.2 then you won't need to worry about it.

Stefan