[Virtio-fs] [RFC 3/5] fuse: Split fuse_mount off of fuse_conn

Max Reitz mreitz at redhat.com
Thu May 7 15:05:40 UTC 2020

On 07.05.20 16:05, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 2:08 PM Max Reitz <mreitz at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07.05.20 13:24, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>
>>> Even better:  share the bdi between submounts.  This would make a lot
>>> more sense and remove the need for loops.
>>
>> Hm, isn’t bdi related to the (anonymous) block device “serving” the
>> super block, and thus the st_dev value?  (Which is necessarily different
>> for all fuse_mounts)
>
> BDI is normally an object bound to a block device, but a block device
> can have multiple partitions, each having different st_dev values.  So
> yes, a bdi *can* be shared by multiple super blocks, and this very
> much makes sense in the case of fuse submounts sharing a connection.

OK.  Seems like all I’d need to do is let fuse_bdi_init() clone
(bdi_get()) the existing BDI for submounts.  However, the BDI’s name (in
sysfs) is going to be based on the root mount’s st_dev.  Is that a problem?

(Sorry if I’m asking questions whose answer seem obvious to you, but I’m
afraid I’m rather new to everything, and it all still overwhelms me a bit.)

Max