[Virtio-fs] Architecture diagram license

Fotis Xenakis foxen at windowslive.com
Mon Oct 26 23:31:54 UTC 2020

Okay, in that case this is my written confirmation that you may use the
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ license on the
architecture.svg file.
Thank you!
I'll send a separate patch to explicitly apply the license to the entire
virtio-fs website.

By the way, how are you using virtio-fs in your thesis? It would be
interesting to hear what you are working on.
OSv is a unikernel happily running on QEMU/KVM, supporting different filesystems. Virtio-fs is a great fit for unikernels: it offers an escape route from rebuilding images for every change and very competitive performance just to name a couple of factors.
I decided as part of my thesis to tackle read-only virtio-fs DAX window support on the OSv side (nothing big, no comparison to linux). This has been merged and works on OSv and I 've been working on evaluating it (spoiler: it works very nicely and performance is pretty good).
Unfortunately, the thesis containing the detailed evaluation is mostly in Greek, in any case you can find it here https://github.com/foxeng/diploma. When time allows, I will also do an English write-up for sharing. If anyone's interested, I 'll make sure to post it here too!

By the way, I 'd like to congratulate and thank everyone involved in the project for your amazing work, both in terms of concept, implementation and landing it upstream in the relevant projects. Personally, I find virtio-fs fills a much-needed gap and is an elegant, versatile solution at that too. In addition, it fits the unikernel use-cases very nicely: very roughly, what one could do with e.g. Docker and a bind mount can now be done with OSv and virtio-fs, usability-wise.
Finally, the virtiofsd Rust effort is very exciting: it's really nice seeing Rust used in real-world, big projects like this. Hope it delivers!

Fotis
Stefan