[Virtio-fs] Compiling virtio-fs/qemu on Mac

Sergio Lopez slp at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 06:02:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 09:41:58AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 08:36:37PM -0400, Anthony J Rabbito wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I'm having some trouble getting virt9p built with Qemu on Darwin. Given
> > that virtio-fs is progressing nicely i'm wondering if anyone has had any
> > success building for Darwin?
> > Looking to build a podman machine with shared directories.
> > Thanks,
>
> Hi Anthony,
>
> I have never tried building qemu/virtiofsd for Darwin.
>
> My understanding is that virtiofsd is supposed to be running on Linux.
> It has code which makes assumption about linux specific behavior. So
> I doubt it will work correctly on Darwin even if you managed to
> compile it.

Yes, this is the case. For the macOS port of libkrun, which integrates
a virtio-fs server, I had to rewrite a significant part of the
passthrough implementation [1]. And even with all the workarounds
there, the semantics aren't 100% compatible, just good enough for the
common use cases.

Sergio.

[1] https://github.com/containers/libkrun/blob/main/src/devices/src/virtio/fs/macos/passthrough.rs