[Virtio-fs] Virtiofs Kernel Boot howto

Harry G. Coin hgcoin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 21:53:50 UTC 2021

On 6/4/21 3:58 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 11:28:42AM -0500, Harry G. Coin wrote:
>> Mentioned up-list, here's a further little helper to allow virtio-fs root.
> Hi Harry,
>
> Thanks for posting instructions on how to boot with virtiofs as rootfs.
>
> [..]
>> and as 'kernel args' (presuming you've built dracut with the added conf
>> files I published on this list previously):
>>
>> root=virtiofs:myfs rd.shell rd.fstab
> Ok, this is interesting bit that how virtiofs root should be specified
> so that it can be parsed both by kernel as well as initramfs module.
>
> I don't think "root=virtiofs:myfs" is recognized by kernel. So you must
> have coded dracut module to parse it appropriately.

Actually, until recent kernels the addition of 'virtiofs:...' was not
required, only rootfstype=virtiofs and 'the tag was just that, any
tag'.  However recent kernels failed to boot, so I had to specify that.

My suggestion, if you like standards, is to notice how 9p does it, and
follow that.  The reason I suggest that is I suspect nearly everyone
that presently uses 9p will move to this if their systems support it,
once it doesn't take a Ph.D. in five or six things to 'seem as good as
installing from ISO to a block device'.