[Virtio-fs] Live migration support for virtio-fs

Greg Kurz groug at kaod.org
Tue Mar 23 09:02:56 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 01:35:58 +0000
"Ge, Xiongzi" <Xiongzi.Ge at netapp.com> wrote:

> Hello Vivek, Dr. Gilbert, and the virtio-fs team,
>
> It seems that virtio-fs does not support live migration. Once a vm is
> configured with virtio-fs, live migration cannot be performed even it
> is not mounted on the guest. Is there any progress for this? If the

Live migration of virtio-fs is still at the early discussion stage AFAICT.
It might take time before we have something working. But in the meantime,
it seems abusive to block migration if we have a guarantee that the device
isn't servicing requests. FWIW virtio-9p only blocks migration when the
shared directory is mounted on the guest.