[Virtio-fs] write permissions for Windows host on Linux guest

birnenkram at posteo.de birnenkram at posteo.de
Sun Oct 24 06:24:33 UTC 2021

Hello list,

thanks for a great project which will simplify my workflow a lot once I
get everything working.

I am trying to share a folder from an Ubuntu 20.04.3 host with a Windows
10 build 19042 (20H2) guest, using QEMU 5.2 / libvirt 7.0.0 on the host
and virtio-win 0.1.208 (driver 100.85.104.20800 and associated virtiofs
service) on the guest. I got the Windows drivers from
https://github.com/virtio-win/virtio-win-pkg-scripts/blob/master/README.md
(stable virtio-win ISO).

So far I am able to read files in this host folder without problems from
the guest. However I can only create/write/delete files on the host if

     I use a shell (Windows CMD or Cygwin bash) with *Administrator*
rights on the guest
OR
     I change the folder permissions on the host, giving write
permissions to "other". Neither of these options is acceptable as a
permanent solution.

I already toyed with various settings for "user" in
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf, including root and the user owning the shared
folder (myself), without success. I struggle to understand what
ultimately determines the write permissions on the host folder. I had
assumed this to be related to the UID of one of the hypervisor
processes, so I do not see why running as Administrator or not on the
guest should make a difference. Also, virtiofsd seems to be running as
root anyway, so should have the necessary permissions. There's no
SELinux on my system.

My Windows and Linux user names are different. I don't know if that
matters, and whether the software attempts to map the two (as Cygwin
does).

Do you have any ideas what the problem could be? I have seen various
users reporting issues with write permissions from Windows guests in the
recent past, but no solution which would solve the issue for me.

Best regards, Michael