[Virtio-fs] [virtio-fs] Windows 10 VirtioFS Service error - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Ewen Chan alpha754293 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 1 12:05:10 UTC 2023

To Whom It May Concern:

I am trying to use Virtiofs inside a Windows 10 VM under Proxmox 7.3-3.

Previously, I was able to do it, but now, for some reason, whenever I try to start the service, this is the error message that I get:

[cid:15c9698d-d741-416c-aa69-31d60be10227]

I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64 and then installed the virtio Windows drivers (virtio-win-0.1.229.iso) this error is still popping up.

I have a script which daemonizes the virtiofsd daemon:

      # cat launch-virtio-daemon.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash

function launch() {

    nohup /usr/lib/kvm/virtiofsd --syslog --daemonize --socket-path=/var/run/shared-fs.sock -o source=/export/myfs/ -o cache=always &> /dev/null  &
    return 0
}

launch

And in my Proxmox VM, I have called the launch-virtio-daemon.sh via a Proxmox hookscript:

qm set 101 --hookscript local:snippets/virtiofs.pl

and this is what's in the virtiofs.pl file:

# cat /var/lib/vz/snippets/virtiofs.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

# Exmple hook script for PVE guests (hookscript config option)
# You can set this via pct/qm with
# pct set <vmid> -hookscript <volume-id>
# qm set <vmid> -hookscript <volume-id>
# where <volume-id> has to be an executable file in the snippets folder
# of any storage with directories e.g.:
# qm set 100 -hookscript local:snippets/hookscript.pl

use strict;
use warnings;

print "GUEST HOOK: " . join(' ', @ARGV). "\n";

# First argument is the vmid

my $vmid = shift;

# Second argument is the phase

my $phase = shift;

if ($phase eq 'pre-start') {

    # First phase 'pre-start' will be executed before the guest
    # ist started. Exiting with a code != 0 will abort the start

    print "$vmid is starting, doing preparations.\n";

    system('/var/lib/vz/snippets/launch-virtio-daemon.sh');

    # print "preparations failed, aborting."
    # exit(1);

} elsif ($phase eq 'post-start') {

    # Second phase 'post-start' will be executed after the guest
    # successfully started.

    print "$vmid started successfully.\n";

} elsif ($phase eq 'pre-stop') {

    # Third phase 'pre-stop' will be executed before stopping the guest
    # via the API. Will not be executed if the guest is stopped from
    # within e.g., with a 'poweroff'

    print "$vmid will be stopped.\n";

} elsif ($phase eq 'post-stop') {

    # Last phase 'post-stop' will be executed after the guest stopped.
    # This should even be executed in case the guest crashes or stopped
    # unexpectedly.

    print "$vmid stopped. Doing cleanup.\n";

} else {
    die "got unknown phase '$phase'\n";
}

exit(0);

This was working before and now I don't really know nor understand why it isn't working anymore.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Ewen Chan