[Virtio-fs] vm hangs when booting with virtiofs

German Maglione gmaglione at redhat.com
Thu May 25 13:57:06 UTC 2023

I'm copying your response to this email

> >If you swap your win11 for a linux guest (using the same libvirt xml)
are you able to reproduce the error?
> do you think the guest type matters much?

Yes, because the windows guest uses a different driver. So the problem
could be virtiofsd daemon,
the linux kernel or the windows drivers

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 8:38 AM daggs <daggs at gmx.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >>I'm using the following cmd to run virtiofsd using socket: virtiofsd
> --socket-path=/var/lib/libvirt/helpers_state/windows/linux_home.socket
> --shared-dir /home/daggs --cache auto
> >>where /var/lib/libvirt/helpers_state/windows/ is a tmpfs mount of 16K
> (tried with 1M too, same behavior)
> >>the virtiofsd invocation is issued inside the prepare and begin qemu
> hook on libvirt.
> >>I see this after virtiofsd is started: [2023-05-20T08:41:18Z INFO
> virtiofsd] Waiting for vhost-user socket connection...
> >>and I call it like this: nohup <virtiofsd cmd> &
> >>
> >>the vm's relevant config is this:
> >><domain type='kvm'>
> >><memory unit='KiB'>24582144</memory>
> >><currentMemory unit='KiB'>24582144</currentMemory>
> >><memoryBacking>
> >><source type='memfd'/>
> >><access mode='shared'/>
> >></memoryBacking>
> >><vcpu placement='static'>12</vcpu>
> >><cputune>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='6'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='8'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='9'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='10'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='11'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='12'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='13'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='14'/>
> >><vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='15'/>
> >><emulatorpin cpuset='0-1'/>
> >></cputune>

> >><cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
> >><topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='6' threads='2'/>
> >><cache mode='passthrough'/>
> >><feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
> >></cpu>
> >><filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
> >><driver type='virtiofs' queue='1024'/>
> >><binary path='/usr/bin/virtiofsd'/>
> >><source
> socket='/var/lib/libvirt/helpers_state/windows/linux_home.socket'/>
> >><target dir='linux_home'/>
> >><address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x07' slot='0x00'
> function='0x0'/>
> >></filesystem>
> >></domain>
> >>
> >>I'm running it via virsh, added -d 4, no errors in the log
> >>when it is stuck, I get a black screen (using gpu pt to guest which work
> without it), ps shows both virsh start cmd running and stuck, two virtiofsd
> instances are up.
> >>any ideas how to solve this?
> >>

> >I forgot, could you replace your '/usr/bin/virtiofsd' with a shell script
> that runs `virtiofsd --log-level=debug ...` and post the log output
> >
> >If you want, you can open an issue here:
> >
> https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/virtiofsd/-/issues[https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/virtiofsd/-/issues]
> do you mean run it from inside libvirt?
> I tried that, seems like virtiofsd fails because libvirt uses deprecated
> cli params
> that is why I'm using sockets and running it from outside libvirt

Oh great, I didn't realize you were calling virtiofsd directly, easier
then, just call
virtiofsd --log-level=debug

and please also using strace, like:
strace -f -o vfsd.strace.log  virtiofsd ...

--
German