Re: Nvidia drivers

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Juha Saarinen wrote:

>> http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/01/03/19/0357219.shtml
>>
>> Under Linux, NVidia (GF2) is faster and more stable than ATI (Radeon).
>
>Right, some hard facts at last. Thanks.

Well, if those are considered facts, then sobeit.  I'm not going
to argue with anyone about it.  I know what cards get bitched
about the most on 10 XFree86 mailing lists, and in bugreports and
direct mailings to me, so...  take my advice, or leave it -
caveat emptor.

>> > If Nvidia bug reports are going to be ignored by Red Hat and only ATi and
>> > Matrox are recommended, I would suggest that the cards are removed from the
>> > compatible / supported list at hardware.redhat.com.
>>
>> Why?  Why work, just not in 3d.  I've found the stock 2D support to be pretty
>> good and reliable.
>
>That was a bit tongue-in-cheek -- Mike's part of the Red Hat team, and
>recommends ATi and Matrox cards. He also said that Nvidia bug reports will
>be ignored. In that case, it would be logical to confine Nvidia cards to
>the "unsupported" bin, even though there are lots of Linux users out there
>who use them.

Nvidia bugs are not just categorically ignored - rather if a bug
is reported from someone using a binary only nvidia driver - it
is 100% ignored UNLESS it can be proven to exist with other video
hardware or without the nvidia driver.  A reproduceable X bug is
what we're looking for here.  If something is reproduceable,
without using proprietary drivers, then it is somewhat
supportable.

As such, reporting bugs is important, however if it turns out to
be an "nv" driver bug, most likely all I can do is send it
upstream to XFree86 and hope someone can fix it.  This is
"supporting" the cards as best as can be done IMHO.  Due to all
of this, it is a good chance that "nv" driver bugs may not get
fixed for a long time, and THAT is the reason I do not recommend
the nvidia cards.

This whole issue is not about speed or whizbang, it is about
"something is wrong, I can't use my card" - to which the solution
in general ends up being "sorry, we do not support the binary
nvidia driver" or "I've tracked the problem down to the nv
driver, and it isn't something obvious so someone familiar with
the nv driver, and who has access to nvidia's documentation will
have to fix it - sending upstream".

Again - supported, but not nearly as well as ATI, Matrox and
others - hence the purpose of all of what I've said so far.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,