Re: ReiserFS Installation support on RedHat 7.1

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know why RedHat refuse adding support for ReiserFS partitions on
> the installation of RedHat. Neither fisher or wolverine has support for it.
> It's a very trivial thing. Some guys from a Brazilian university has made a
> patch to be applied on Anaconda, so we can regenerate the installation CD's,
> and be able to install a system with the ReiserFS option.

While I am NOT speaking with the official Red Hat voice, I would say that
this particular question has been answered before, ad-nauseum. ReiserFS
isn't ready for production use. As for the Brazilians, good for them. If
you use their patch and hose your system, don't come crying to me.

> Can anyone explains me why RedHat doesn not want to add ReiserFS to their
> distro? All other distros already has this possibility. Mandrake, SuSE,
> Conectiva, etc...

I wouldn'd say we don't want to add ReiserFS support. At the risk of
repeating myself, it's just not ready.

> You can find the Anaconda patches and howto's on the following page:
>
> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/

If you insist, go for it! Good Luck.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCE