Re: Remote updates

On 4 Apr 2001 nbecker fred net wrote:

> 1) Use rpm.  Can I successfully update say, from 7.0 -> 7.1 using just
>    rpm?  If so, it should be easy enough to come up with something to
>    select the packages to update.

 It *is* possible, but the update system (anaconda) will do more
than just upgrade packages.  It would perhaps be useful to do the
package upgrades -- carefully, and noting any changes in config
files -- and then run anaconda (in single user mode) afterwards to
make sure stuff like authentication, timezones et al are correct.

 In particular as someone else just noted, it would be wise to try
and get your kernel and some associated stuff like modutils up to
date first, possibly using rawhide packages.

 I have done similar things myself (my home system is basically all
the raw hide packages stuck onto a 7.0 install) but it can lead to

> 2) RH provides a tool, anaconda IIRC to do updates.  But this expects
>    to run on a system in single user mode.  Can I just run it on an
>    active system in multiuser mode?

 You'll need to wait for some Red Hat folks who know better than I
do to respond on this one.

Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: bill ops netcom net uk, home: billc netcomuk co uk