Re: Remote updates

nbecker fred net wrote:
> That's one approach - but not the one I had in mind.  I used a pull
> method, where I remotely logged in via rsh and told each client to
> update from a server, which had the CD drive (10 years ago not many
> machines had one).
>
> rsh can be scripted, so I was able to update all machines with one
> command, (while I went for coffee).

Yes, I remember CD caddies, and when mainly SCSI CDROM were available
and the Toshiba 1x SCSI CDROM was the only one that worked with SGI
systems, but I think that was a bit before Linux became popular :-)  Now
disk space is cheap, especially IDE drives, so I just copy all of the
CDs onto disk and export the disk via NFS.

I use an rsync script to mirror the relevant update dirs from
rpmfind.net nightly, and these are stored on an NFS "share" which is
automounted as needed from all of the "clients."

I use ssh now to do something similar to what you did with rsh--First, I
must start up ssh-agent on the "server" and ssh-add my keys, and then
the automated part can proceed without being prompted for passwords.
Occasionally, I will run "gnorpm" this way, which is configured to look
in the NFS directories for packages including updates--Then I just
select "Only Newer Packages" and it's easy to select the packages that
need to be installed, but it's a bit time consuming to do a whole bunch
of machines.

Newer versions of RPM have a -F "freshen" option which will not install
the update unless an older version is already installed--that should
make it a lot easier to script.  With the -U option, you used to need to
script some other method to check if an older version of a package was
installed.

--
"Jonathan F. Dill" (dill umbi umd edu)