Re: Wolverine and up2date: Open the Floodgates!

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 02:05:00AM -0400, Glen A. Foster wrote:
> Drew Bertola wrote:
> >
> > Glen A. Foster writes:
> > >       (d) grab the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (via ftp) from
> > >               the rawhide directory on ftp.redhat.com
> > >               (ftp> cd redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS)
> >
> > # ls up2date-*rpm
> > up2date-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm  up2date-gnome-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
> >

> > 1GB swap!  Ugh.  Don't have the space for that and the RPMs :( Guess
> > it will have to wait for my next upgrade.  What about on my test
> > server w/ 1GB RAM?  I really don't want to repartition a 9GB drive to
> > use 1/3 of it for swap.  Should I remove some RAM to accomodate the
> > requirements?  That would be a heck of a lot easier.
> OK, it's late; maybe I didn't specify well enough.  The 2x-to-3x was
> intended for *small* memory systems (like when I did my test install
> of Wolverine, I used a custom install and had the installer auto-
> partition everything) -- like a 64MB system configured with 64MB swap.
> If you've got >= 256MB swap, my (sleep-deprived) _guess_ is that
> you should be OK.  The up2date process peaked (on an EVERYTHING
> upgrade) at about 169MB for the whole process, and about 42MB for
> the resident set size.  256MB swap should fit, even with X.

	Also, note that the majority of the memory useage
is used to cache header info in ram. The default "cap"
on the number of headers to cache is 40, but this can be
set to a smaller value by changing the "headerCacheSize"
variable in the config file. It will slow things down
a bit, as it will read stuff off disk instead of ram, but
it will use less ram.