Re: New test release of up2date available

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Preston Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Tony Seward wrote:
>
> > When I try (through rhn_register) the server says the the username is
> > already taken.  I've tried
> >
> >   username: 'anonymous'
> >   password: 'anonymous'
> >
> > and
> >
> >   username: 'anonymous'
> >   password: my e-mail address
>
> You cannot use rhn_register to register for wolverine.  Please go re-read
> the document Glen Foster sent out.

No problemo!

Glen's first message:
---------------------
> From glen redhat com Fri Apr  6 16:29:38 2001
> From: Glen A. Foster <glen redhat com>
> To: wolverine-list redhat com
> Subject: Wolverine and up2date: Open the Floodgates!
>
> Stephen Adler wrote:
> >
> > Looks like my mirror is now synced up with Rawhide.
> > Is there anything more going into the rawhide distribution tonight?
> > Its its safe to up2date my system?
>
> Two arms, Two arms -- the upgrades are coming!  The upgrades are coming!
> OK, howzabout 10 fingers on 2 hands?  How's about a virtually painless
> up2date session to bring Wolverine up to today's rawhide?  And what if
> the new version of up2date actually upgrades your kernel for you?!?!
>
> 		<Drumroll> Ahem! -- read on! </Drumroll>
>
> It's been somewhat tested folks, and we need YOUR help to finalize some
> details... in the spirit of "more better, gooder" from Red Hat, there's
> some goodies in store with the public beta server beta.rhns.redhat.com!
> All you have to do is:
>
> 	(*) Read ALL of these steps; don't start typing and reading at
> 		the same time -- you'll increase your karma and experience
> 		reading and "being fully prepared" 8=)

OK, this is my third time.  Getting close to karma saturation.

> 	(a) make sure your redhat-release package is the same as the
> 		original Wolverine version

[seward zernike seward]$ rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-7.0.91-1

> 	(b) make sure /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date has the URL that points
> 		to beta.rhns.redhat.com

[root zernike rh]# grep beta /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
noSSLServerURL=http://beta.rhns.redhat.com
serverURL=https://beta.rhns.redhat.com

> 	(c) make sure /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date is MODIFIED somehow --
> 		adding a blank line (at the end of the file) of the
> 		original is sufficient -- see my posting to this list
> 		on 02-Apr entitled "Re: up2date not  for Beta Users..."

A blank line didn't work before so ...
[root zernike rh]# echo -e '#\n#\tThis file has been modified\n#' >> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date

Got them from http://people.redhat.com/pbrown

> 	(e) REALLY IMPORTANT: make sure you have at least 2x RAM for
> 		swap -- up2date, like the installer, is hungry and
> 		uses a surprisingly small-yet-still-large backing store
> 		If you have spare partitions for swap, use 'em; if
> 		you have extra file-system space, make swap-files
> 		and use 'em.  You'll get mostly-usable performance.

After I had read throught everything the first time I noticed Glen's
second message (see below).  I have 256M RAM and 256M swap.

> 	(f) ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: make sure /var/spool/up2date has
> 		sufficient space for download all the RPMs.  If you
> 		have not upgraded any packages (via rawhide or up2date)
> 		since the original Wolverine, you're in for a hefty
> 		1.75GB (that's Gig!) of RPMs to download/install.

[seward zernike seward]$ df
/dev/sda5              8519908   5106500   2980616  64% /
                                          [^^^^^^^ ed.]
/dev/sda1                50547      9136     38801  20% /boot
/dev/hda1               655256    126260    495712  21% /home/seward/mnt/cdimage
/dev/hda2             28910676  24371140   3070956  89% /home/seward/mnt/distro
/dev/hdc1              2088128   1759360    328768  85% /mnt/old_aspen_c
/dev/hdc5              2088128    535808   1552320  26% /mnt/old_aspen_d
/dev/hdc6                40034        28     40006   1% /mnt/old_aspen_e
redwood:/nfs/u0/home/seward
                      21703728  18521448   3182280  86% /home/seward/mnt/redwood

> 	(g) upgrade the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (as root)

[seward zernike seward]$ rpm -q up2date up2date-gnome
up2date-2.5-1
up2date-gnome-2.5-1

> 	(h) run "up2date --nosig", follow the pretty GUI interface in
> 		it's journey and watch your system get upgraded.  It's
> 		pretty slow with the Wolverine (2.4.1-0.1.9) kernel.

[seward zernike seward]$ up2date --nosig

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/libglade.py", line 28, in __call__
    ret = apply(self.func, a)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date/gui.py", line 250, in onStartPageNext
    (self.pkgList, self.skipPkgList) = up2date.getUpdatedPackageList([],pwin.setLabel, pwin.setProgress, self.__refreshCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date/up2date.py", line 1693, in getUpdatedPackageList
    pkgList = getAvailablePackageList()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date/up2date.py", line 574, in getAvailablePackageList
    availPkgList = s.up2date.listall_size(getSystemId())
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xmlrpclib.py", line 608, in __call__
    return self.__send(self.__name, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xmlrpclib.py", line 644, in __request
    request = dumps(params, methodname)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xmlrpclib.py", line 482, in dumps
    data = m.dumps(params)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xmlrpclib.py", line 251, in dumps
    self.__dump(v)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/xmlrpclib.py", line 262, in __dump
    raise TypeError, "cannot marshal %s objects" % type(value)
TypeError: cannot marshal <type 'None'> objects

OK, nothing yet in Glen's messages about registering anonymously (see below).

> #ifdef	READ_THIS_TOO
> Do NOT forget the --nosig option to up2date; if you're doing the stock

Been there, done that.

> Wolverine-upgraded-to-the-05-Apr-Rawhide thing, you'll have over 600
> packages to download, and you DON'T want to press "Yes" to the dialog
> box that asks if you want to download an unsigned pacakge. :-( ;-)
> #endif
>
> #ifdef	DO_NOT_FORGET
>
> ... it's imperative you have your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date file have
> the beta.rhns.redhat.com URL in it AND that it be modified as compared

Ditto

> to the original version available in the Wolverine beta.  The best way
> I've been able to assure it doesn't get upgraded is to add a blank line
> at the end of the file before running up2date.  It's also imperative
> that the redhat-release package be the same version shipped with
> Wolverine.

See above

> E.g., the up2date server on beta.rhns.redhat.com serves up 7.0.91
> "release" packages or x86 architectures *only*.
>
> Make sure you have sufficient swap -- 2x-to-3x for the upgrade is HIGHLY
> recommended.  It's really not that bad -- Windoze users typically are
> asked to create a 600MB+ swap-file for 128MB RAM systems.

See my comment above and Glen's comments below.

> Make sure you have sufficent space in /var/spool/up2date -- again, the
> full stock-Wolverine-to-rawhide-of-today is 1.75GB(!).
>
> #endif	/* DO_NOT_FORGET */
>
> 	- latest-and-greatest rawhide packages (since 17-Mar or so)
> 		... too numerous to mention (613 in all - hey, I told
> 		you we were *busy*!) but most notably:
>
> 		o kernel-2.4.2-0.1.49 (better performance, fewer bugs :-)
> 		o XFree86-4.0.3
> 		o KDE-2.1.1
> 		o quota-3.00
> 		o openssh-2.5.2p2
> 		o <a lot of other stuff I'm not mentioning, and>
> 		o up2date-2.4.9
>
> 	- the new-and-improved up2date can UPGRADE YOUR KERNEL (and run
> 		mkinitrd if needed, and re-run lilo) for reasonably
> 		"sane" renditions of "/etc/lilo.conf" (YMMV and we
> 		would like help testing this feature ASAP)!
>
> 	- the new kernel has much better VM balancing, as well as an
> 		entire slew of driver fixes - much, MUCH better stuff
>
> #ifdef	CAVEAT
> The lilo.conf parser passed the few off config files we had here in
> the office (and from Red Hat associated world-wide who contributed
> test-cases), but there's LOTS more of you than there are of us.
> Hence the power of number, and hence my request for testing help!
>
> If your /etc/lilo.conf is pretty "vanilla", the kernel upgrade in the
> up2date run should Just Work(tm).
>
> If you're running a fairly, uh, *unique* lilo.conf, your system would
> make a good test-candidate and we'd LOVE to get your feedback (and even
> a bugzilla report if it gets hosed)... don't worry, I'll include the
> steps to take to minimize said hosing, and get you back on your feet.
> #endif	/* CAVEAT */
>
> #ifdef	TEST_PROCEDURE
>
> OPPORTUNITY: It would be "really cool" if people could test this by:
>
> 	[0] make a boot disk (or if you've got a CD-ROM with the same
> 		version of boot-kernel that you're running on your
> 		live system, that's even better) -- it's better to HAVE
> 		a rescue-boot-image and not need it than to NEED it and
> 		NOT have it! [:-)]

Way a head of you.

>         [1] save a copy of your /etc/lilo.conf (the "before" version)

[seward zernike seward]$ cp /etc/lilo.conf .

>         [2] upgrade your up2date and up2date-gnome packages, ensure
> 		redhat-release is still the 7.0.91 version, and update
> 		your entire system (don't forget "up2date --nosig"!)

See above

>         [3] boot up the new kernel (expected case), or recover from old
> 		CD-ROM/boot-image if needed (hopefully unnecessary)
>         [4] file a bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla) if the
>                 upgrade did NOT work and include a copy of the before
>                 (working) and after (broken) version in the report
>
> #endif	/* TEST_PROCEDURE */
>
> Again, I hope the instructions here are sufficient.  We hope you
> enjoy the new features available in rawhide, and as always, thanks
> for your effort, your feedback, your interest, and your *time*!
>
> Glen
> --
> +===================================================+
> | Glen A. Foster                      Red Hat, Inc. |
> | 919.547-0012 x415                  www.redhat.com |
> +===================================================+

Glen's second message:
---------------------
> From glen redhat com Fri Apr  6 16:29:38 2001
> From: Glen A. Foster <glen redhat com>
> To: wolverine-list redhat com
> Subject: Re: Wolverine and up2date: Open the Floodgates!
>
> Drew Bertola wrote:
> >
> > Glen A. Foster writes:
> > >       (d) grab the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (via ftp) from
> > >               the rawhide directory on ftp.redhat.com
> > >               (ftp> cd redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS)
> >
> > # ls up2date-*rpm
> > up2date-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm  up2date-gnome-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
> >
> > >       (g) upgrade the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (as root)
> >
> > # rpm -Uhv up2date-*
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >         up2date = 2.4.4 is needed by up2date-gnome-2.4.4-1
>
> <Hrmph, grumble>  Doh!  I *did* say that above, didn't I?  I'll see
> if I can get one of the developers to take a look at this ASAP.
>
> > > Make sure you have sufficient swap -- 2x-to-3x for the upgrade is HIGHLY
> > > recommended.  It's really not that bad -- Windoze users typically are
> > > asked to create a 600MB+ swap-file for 128MB RAM systems.
> >
> > 1GB swap!  Ugh.  Don't have the space for that and the RPMs :( Guess
> > it will have to wait for my next upgrade.  What about on my test
> > server w/ 1GB RAM?  I really don't want to repartition a 9GB drive to
> > use 1/3 of it for swap.  Should I remove some RAM to accomodate the
> > requirements?  That would be a heck of a lot easier.
>
> OK, it's late; maybe I didn't specify well enough.  The 2x-to-3x was
> intended for *small* memory systems (like when I did my test install
> of Wolverine, I used a custom install and had the installer auto-
> partition everything) -- like a 64MB system configured with 64MB swap.
>
> If you've got >= 256MB swap, my (sleep-deprived) _guess_ is that
> you should be OK.  The up2date process peaked (on an EVERYTHING
> upgrade) at about 169MB for the whole process, and about 42MB for
> the resident set size.  256MB swap should fit, even with X.

See above

> Sorry for the apparent false alarm.  I'll have someone look at the
> rpm-upgrade dependency failure -- that should NOT happen. :-(
>
> Thanks for responding so quickly, so late at night!
>
> Glen "going home now" Foster
> --
> +===================================================+
> | Glen A. Foster                      Red Hat, Inc. |
> | 919.547-0012 x415                  www.redhat.com |
> +===================================================+

Glen's Third and (so far) final message:
> From glen redhat com Fri Apr  6 16:29:38 2001
> From: Glen A. Foster <glen redhat com>
> To: wolverine-list redhat com
> Subject: Re: Wolverine and up2date: Open the Floodgates!
>
> Drew Bertola wrote:
> >
> > Glen A. Foster writes:
> > >       (d) grab the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (via ftp) from
> > >               the rawhide directory on ftp.redhat.com
> > >               (ftp> cd redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS)
> >
> > # ls up2date-*rpm
> > up2date-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm  up2date-gnome-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
>
> $ md5sum up2date-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm up2date-gnome-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
> dff7f35f1f1fe095a94f796b022b363c  up2date-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
> e9c900b9cd18fb047935aff106ccbeb2  up2date-gnome-2.4.9-1.i386.rpm
>
> > >       (g) upgrade the up2date and up2date-gnome packages (as root)
> >
> > # rpm -Uhv up2date-*
> > error: failed dependencies:
> >         up2date = 2.4.4 is needed by up2date-gnome-2.4.4-1
>
> I can't seem to reproduce this here.  I did a full Wolverine install,
> change the useGPG line in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date from 1 to 0, ran
> "up2date -r" to anonymously register, and then tried the upgrade.

Aha! Now we're on to something ...

-----------
[root zernike rh]# grep useGPG /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
useGPG[comment]=Use GPG to verify package integrity
useGPG=0

[seward zernike seward]$ up2date -r
Error parsing command line arguments: option -r not recognized
Usage: up2date [options] [package names]

Available command line options:
    --configure        - graphically configure Update Agent options
-d, --download         - download packages only, even if configuration says
                         to install.
    --dbpath=<dir>     - Specify a path where an alternate rpm db is found
-f, --force            - Force package installation, overriding package
                         and file skip list
-i, --install          - install packages, even if configuration says to
                         download only.
    --justdb           - Only add packages to database, do not install to the filesystem
-l, --list             - list packages available for retrieval
-h, --help             - this help
-k, --packagedir       - colon separated path of directories
                         to look in for packages
    --nosig            - do not use GPG to check package signatures
    --nox              - do not attempt to use X.
-p, --packages         - update packages associated with this System Profile
                         on Red Hat Network
    --showall          - List all packages available for download
    --solvedeps=<deps>
                       - finds, downloads, and installs the
                         packages needed to solve the list of deps
    --tmpdir=<dir>     - where to store temporary files / RPMs
-u, --update           - update system with all relevant packages
--version              - show program version information
-v, --verbose          - Show additional output
    --whatprovides=<deps>
                       - shows the packages which solve the comma
                         separated list of deps

When operating in command line mode, specifying package names as arguments to
the program will attempt to retrieve (and possibly install, based on your
configuration) those packages.  Version, release, and architecture details will
be determined by the Update Agent automatically.
---------

Well, maybe not...

(see also
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/wolverine-list/2001-April/001700.html)

> I *did* neglect to mention that said upgrade (above) also requires the
> newest version of python-xlmrpc (1.4-1), but adding that to the list
> of things to feed "rpm" made it all workie.
>
> $ md5sum python-xmlrpc-1.4-1.i386.rpm
> 5a3a70bd22c0adb2a0af8fbfa98742da  python-xmlrpc-1.4-1.i386.rpm

[seward zernike seward]$ rpm -q python-xmlrpc
python-xmlrpc-1.4-1

> Is is possible you upgraded the wrong RPMs?
>
> Dunno what else to tell ya.  See if the md5sums on your RPMs match
> the ones I have.  I checked both on ftp.redhat.com and in our internal
> development trees and the md5sums match perfectly.
>
> Glen
> --
> +===================================================+
> | Glen A. Foster                      Red Hat, Inc. |
> | 919.547-0012 x415                  www.redhat.com |
> +===================================================+

Looking back through the archives I find
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/wolverine-list/2001-April/001487.html

<snip>
If you're using up2date from Wolverine for the first time, then do this:

[1] Install Wolverine -- and carefully follow step #2 (below :-)
[2] After reboot, edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
        - ADD 1 blank line after the LAST line in the file (and save)
        - or yes, you can echo "" >> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
[3] Run up2date -r (anonymously registers and runs up2date client)
        - use the -r flag for the FIRST invocation only
[4] For all other package-upgrade scenarios, run "up2date --nosig"
        - this lets you install pre-release packages from the up2date
          server that don't (yet) have supported/release GPG signatures.
<snip>

Looks familiar.

Tony