Re: up2date -r no longer works

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Glen A. Foster wrote:

> Tony Seward wrote:
> >
> > 'up2date -r' does not work for versions 2.4 and 2.5.  It does work for 2.3.
> > Let me know if you want me to fill out a bugzilla report.
>
> Works as designed.  The -r flag was a Wolverine-version-ONLY-thing.
> That's the biggest reason /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date needs to be
> MODIFIED before updating up2date (so rpm won't touch the config file)
> and hence leave the right registration certificate, etc.

I tried modifying up2date before upgrading, but that is not enough.
'up2date -r' needs to be run before upgrading. The proper sequence is:

 1) Install the up2date in wolverine
 2) invoke 'up2date -r'
 3) invoke 'echo -e "\n" >> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date'
 4) Upgrade to up2date 2.4 or 2.5

Step 2 was what I was not doing.  It would be nice for the next beta to have
a -beta option to up2date that take care of some of these issues for the
beta testers.  It could use the beta server even if another URL was in the
config file and could use anonymous authentication if the beta tester was
not registered.  Not updating the beta server after the beta test is over
means that the -beta option is useless after the release is issued and RH
won't loose revenue.

Tony