Re: up2date/kernel upgrade lilo.conf

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 12:59:30AM -0400, lists sapience com wrote:
>   Since I have a somewhat non-standard lilo.conf file I was a little wary
>   of trying a kernel upgrade since the standard install usually doesn't work
>   either!
>
>   Installing is always a pain - I have to boot recovery off the cd after the install
>   and edit the lilo.conf file (thank goodness  for lilo -r <mount> !)
>
>   Actually it would be nice if the install program allowed me to edit the lilo.conf
>   to fix it up. Or perhaps deal with the bios boot order issue and allow installer
>   to specify.
>
>   Right, in case the up2date developers would like to see it I am enclosing a copy:
>   I have 2 scsi disks and one ide. bios boot order is scsi first.
>
>   Anyway here it is:

	bios remapped drives is definately one of those annoying corner cases.
In other words, the lilo stuff will probabaly break it. Actually running
a test on the file, I would say it will definately break it.

	The up2date lilo code is heavily based on the lilo code from
the installer, so if anaconda breaks it, theres a pretty good chance
that up2date is going to as well.

	I'll see if I can add a check to bail out on bios remapped
drives (that way the original lilo/lilo.conf will remain intact,
and left up to the user to hand edit). Not ideal, but...

	I've got some experimental code to handle simple bios
remapping, but I'm not at all confident in it. More than likely
I'll just make this case throw an error. Anyway, the lilo.conf
generated is  appened, let me know if it looks sane.

Adrian

# generated lilo.conf from up2date
# lilo.conf
boot=/dev/sda