Re: Differences between "source" RPMs

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 dsavage peaknet net wrote:
> > What's the essential difference between kernel-source-XXX.i386.rpm and
> > kernel-XXX.src.rpm?
> kernel-source-XXX-i386.rpm contains the contents of /usr/src/linux so you
> can modify and recompile a kernel to your liking.
> kernel-XXX.src.rpm is used with the "rpm --rebuild" command to create all
> the binary kernels (i386, i586, i686, SMP versions, -BOOT-, enterprise
> etc) distributed with the distribution.

Thanks to you and the others for clearing this up for me. To summarize:

kernel-source = a simple RPM version of the original tarball (no value added)
kernel.src.rpm = Red Hat's custom kernel w/all patches, SPEC file, etc.

If I read you correctly, the .src.rpm file is generally the more useful of the
two for most Red Hatters. Exceptions would include occasions when one wants to
compile a custom kernel using Alan Cox's patches instead of Red Hat's. Right?

There really was a reason for my question other than idle curiosity.  VMWare's
initial configuration utility looks for certain files in the /usr/src/linux
tree. If it doesn't find them, you must go through the bother of recompiling to
create them. By installing the .src.rpm, it appears I should be able to
configure VMWare without recompiling. (mutter..mutter..mutter....)

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL

This message was sent from Peak Internet Access.